August 18, 2017

Summer Sunday Schedule


10:00 am Worship

 

 

About Tryon Pres

Come to the About Us section to meet Pastor Davis, and find out what we're all about!

Join Us!

If you're curious about what a truly nurturing community of believers is like, then you should come to the Join Us section to find out how you can get involved.

New Pix

Come to the photo gallery to check out our most recent pictures. 

About Presbyterians

Find out about the Presbytrerian Church and the history of this wonderful organization on our What is the Presbyterian Church page.

Members Login



Last month August 2017 Next month
S M T W T F S
week 31 1 2 3 4 5
week 32 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
week 33 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
week 34 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
week 35 27 28 29 30 31


A Brief History of our Church

The Tryon Presbyterian Church was organized in 1922 by a commission from King's Mountain Presbytery with thirty one members.  Worship services were held in the old Methodist Church and also at the movie theater on Pacolet Street in Tryon until a church building could be built.  On Easter Sunday, 1927 the first service was held in the newly constructed church building located in downtown Tryon on Freeman Hill.

By the 1950s, the church was growing and needed a larger facility.  In 1955 after 28 years in the red brick church on Freeman Hill, a building committee was appointed. Property known as the Pacolet Plantation on Harmon Field Road was purchased from the Erskine Family.

In the beginning, the church planned to acquire the land and raise funds for the building.  However, on Easter Sunday in 1956, a letter was read to the congregation from Mr. Frank MacGregor offering to donate a sanctuary in memory of his sister if the church would build the educational building.  The MacGregors were not members and resided in Tryon only part of the year.  The church members were amazed and gratefully accepted the offer.

The building committee worked with local architects, Shannon Meriwether and Holland Brady, Jr. on a design which would meet both practical and aesthetic considerations yet would not overwhelm the pastoral setting.

Mr. Meriwether designed the sanctuary in the shape of a ship to honor Mr. MacGregor's sister who died and was buried at sea on her way to France to serve with the American Red Cross during World War I.  Dedication services were held on October 12, 1958 with special music composed for the occasion by Betty Brewer. 

 


In 1967, the mortagage for the educational building was burned.  In 1968 a manse was built on land behind the church.  The Robert Dick Memorial Bell Tower was given in 1972 by his family in memory of Robert Dick, a dedicated elder.

Through the years the church has helped with the support of missionaries.  The church contributes to missions both locally and throughout the world.  Dr. Barbara Nagy in Malawi and Dr. Becca Young in Indonesia are two missionaries that receive support as well as el Mesias Presbyterian Church, a partnership church, in Guatemala.  Habitat, Hospice, Steps to Hope, Thermal Belt Outreach Ministry, Operation Christmas Child, Guatemala Scholarships and the Angel Tree Ministry are organizations that are supported each year by our church.


In 1982, a Moeller pipe organ was given by Mr. Arthur Farwell in memory of his son.  The organ was updated in 1999 with additional digital stops and an en chamade trumpet bringing the total number of ranks to 30. 

In 1997, the church initiated the Stephen Ministry program and continues to install new leaders in this ministry to the congregation.

 

 

The current membership of the church is 367. Two worship services are held each Sunday with a combined average attendance of 180.